Wednesday, July 16, 2014
I Quit Sugar: Book Review
I was quite interested to read "I Quit Sugar" as less sugar is one of my food goals for the year. She explains her journey to wanting to quit sugar and how she was surprised at where sugar was hidden, then provides what she calls a "flexible and very doable 8-week plan" to quit sugar, followed by a lot of recipes.
There were several points she made that made sense to me/I agreed with but then there were a few items that I disagree with the main being fruit. She says since fruit contains sugar it should be part of the quitting and only a small amount added into your regular diet after quitting, if you really need/want to. I don't agree with that in the slightest - fruit is a whole food, highly nutritious, and although they do contain natural sugars I do not agree that makes it bad for you.
Not many of the recipes appealed to me, mostly because almost all of them contain nuts or nut flours (I'm allergic) so that section was pretty useless to me.
Now, her plan to quit is actually pretty good. She takes two weeks of doing less and then on week three you dive into cutting it all out. She claims that by the end of the 8th week you are no longer craving sugar, you can reintroduce small amounts every now and then into your life, and you will feel great. I'm considering doing so sort of version of this, but I won't cut out the staple of fruit.
Overall it was an interesting read, she includes a lot of science and research which is helpful to read. If you're able to eat nuts some of the recipes sounded nice. The organization and layout is nice and the pictures are lovely.
I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment